Marine Safety Investigation board reports the investigation and findings into the collision between the Maltese registered LNG carrier Aseem and the Hong Kong registered VLCC Shinyo Ocean, within the passage channel of the Fujairah Offshore Anchorage Area, U.A.E.Collision between LNG carrier and VLCC
on 25 March 2019.
During the night of 24 March 2019, MT Aseem was approaching the designated
passage channel to the Fujairah Offshore Anchorage Area, U.A.E., while MT Shinyo Ocean was proceeding...
The latest Maritime Safety Information Bulletin from the U.S. Coast Guard Commandant highlights maintaining maritime commerce and identifies essential maritime critical infrastructure workers.Uninterrupted flow of commerce
The commandant says :
- The uninterrupted flow of commerce on the Marine Transportation System (MTS) is critical to both National Security and economic vitality.
- During the ongoing national emergency, it is paramount that the continued operation of the MTS is safeguarded in...
- Containerized-goods supply shock and bulk-commodity demand shock shown upboth centered in China and driven by temporary closures.
- Containerized-goods demand shock centered in developed Western nations, driven by social distancing and quarantines.
- Crew change, crew infections, port restrictions and canal transit are some of the risks faced currently.
- Shipping groups urged that countries designate ship crew as “key workers” and grant them exemptions from travel restrictions.
Ocean shipping is...
- Big data tools allow us to crunch more numbers faster than ever, providing us with access to ever-richer and more reliable data, such as better AIS coverage.
- The growth of LNG as an energy source is driving significant investment in the LNG carrier market.
- LNG shipping presents unique challenges for optimising and planning voyages to minimise fuel and cargo loss.
Pekka Pakkanen, NAPA Shipping Solutions, Finland, discusses how to use better data to tackle shipping’s most complicated voyages....
- Best practice manual for tankers and other vessels entering and working in the pirate-infested waters of West Africa has been released.
- Will help mariners detect, deter and delay external threats to their safety.
- There is an unprecedented increase in piracy attacks in 2019.
- Lack of efficient law enforcement especially in the eastern Gulf of Guinea is a challenge for seafarers.
- The total annual cost of piracy prevention is as much as $12 billion.
- Pirates are using modern modus operandi...
- The world’s biggest epidemics such as SARS, bird flu and coronavirus have been traced to China.
- China’s history of zoonotic infections has raised questions about public-health practices.
- Its tendency to play down or cover up mass outbreaks play a role in severity and scope.
- China is a leader in the study of contagious disease, flu vaccines provided in the US are often traced to research done in China.
- The Asian flu of 1957 and the Hong Kong flu of 1968 originated in China.
- The 2003 epidemic of...
- The concentration of oil industry-related infrastructure in Anzoátegui combined with the declining economic situation and lack of security make it a hotspot for armed robbery at sea in the Caribbean region.
- Acts committed in territorial waters are considered armed robbery of ships. As these anchorages are located in Venezuelan territorial waters, it is classified as armed robbery of ships.
- While we cannot know what caused these armed robbers to be more violent than those involved in previous...
- Gas and LNG sector are adapting towards shifting trade flows, and price volatility.
- It has embraced short- and long-term market uncertainty from coronavirus impact.
- Lockdowns around the world raise new challenges for LNG supply and demand fundamentals.
- India remains a key hub for LNG import hub from the United States.
- Numerous developers seek buyers to help advance their liquefaction projects.
According to an article published in Platts, the gas and LNG sectors continue to adapt to shifting...
In a major development, the US Coast Guard has announced that they are providing further clarification when making determinations regarding which Marine Transportation System (MTS) workers are considered essential in regions impacted by COVID-19 quarantine and shelter-in-place orders.What is it?
On March 19, 2020, the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), within the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), issued a memorandum that developed an initial list of “Essential Critical...
- Three-week lockdown to slow down the spread of Coronavirus has completely halted ship recycling activities.
- Ships scheduled to arrive at Alang have been issued orders to halt before entering port limits.
- Port authorities not issuing no-objection certificates for ships to enter ports as ship recycling is not an essential industry to be kept operational during the lockdown.
As ICRA says industry perspective has turned negative, Global Marketing Systems, Inc, (GMS) says it’s impossible to give...